12.01.2007

hungover babble on long term goals...

"Short term goals are important to help you to achieve long term goals." A few drinks in, good mood, heavy words uttered from the rear. They instigated a swirling, a colliding of thoughts, a mass confusion.

I have a disorder that prevents me from being able to see life in the long term. I think it is related to death having been so close. Having touched my cheek and blown on the back of my neck as a reminder that long term is sometimes interchangeable with never. That sometimes you can plan everything for the long term and achieve or enjoy nothing each day. And that specific moment, that certain date that you are planning for, can forever remain an unachievable distance away.

I think in the now. I plan for today, sometimes tomorrow and rarely for the month. But months and years away, that is ridiculous. It is human nature to sway with the dynamic flow of society, to shift with the gust blown by our family and friends. To commit yourself to plans for years prevents you from daily treasures that are hiding off the itinerary.

I prefer to partake in enjoyable adventures each day. To pursue pleasurable moments and to continue on this path in hopes that it is never ending. Occasionally it sways and the weather becomes unbearable, but location adjustments and other little changes, can find you once again in equilibrium.